Melody E Saleh

Never knew how much those 1980's late night, self-breast exam PSA's would mean to me. At the very young age of 34 I went to my annual doctor visit with a lump in my right breast; yes I found it myself. I was told it was nothing to worry about; it would go away on its own. Three months later (I turned 35 during that time), it became very painful. I called the doctor's office and was told it was probably a cyst that needed to be aspirated so they gave me the name of a radiologist and told me to go get a mammogram/ultrasound and he would be able to drain it for me. This was February 1998. As a single, self-employed, parent, taking time to do something for ME was at the very bottom of my list. It wasn't until mid March, having dinner at a friend's house, it hit home for me. Her daughters had chased a bird from their home that day. My grandmother (RIP) having been raised up north, always said if a bird flies into your home, someone very close to you is going to get very sick and possibly die. I burst out crying and told the first person, other than the medical staff, what I was going through. I called the very next day to make an appointment.... for six weeks later. I went to the office on April 28, 1998 expecting to have a cyst aspirated, I went alone. When the doc asked me if I had anyone with me in the waiting room, I knew. I was diagnosed with Stage II triple-negative breast cancer at 35. I had a beautiful 15-year old daughter but I still wanted more children. Heck, I wanted to see my daughter graduate high school; I wanted to turn 40; I wanted to see her fall in love and marry her Prince Charming. I had so much still to do.

I participated in a study with Mount Sinai Hospital having chemotherapy prior to surgery to see if my tumor shrunk. I'm actually pretty glad I went that route as I got to see/feel my almost 2cm lump shrink down to 7mm. Four rounds of A/C, lumpectomy and radiation, I was celebrating being alive and hosting a "Hat's Off" party in October 1998. I never felt comfortable in wigs so I always wore hats. At my party everybody had to wear a hat except me. Testing the waters earlier that day at lunch, I had a big biker guy say to me, "Hey little lady, takes guts to cut your hair that short. Looks good." Guess I was ready to take off my hat for good.

I hit all the milestones head on; two-years, five-years, I had a BIG 10-year cancer-free celebration in April 2008. We took 36 friends on a five-day cruise; many fellow BC survivors I had the pleasure of meeting along the way. It's funny how on April 29th that year, I felt this huge weight lift off my shoulders. I never knew I was carrying it until that day. WOO HOO... I did it! I kicked Cancer's BUTT!!! Fast forward to July 2008... in the shower, just before I'm going for my annual mammogram, I feel something "off" in my left breast. I wasn't worried about it, but it was definitely not normal for me. My doc had been wonderful always performing an ultrasound and/or magnified mammogram anytime I felt something "off". Everytime it was nothing... until that day. It was suspicious... It was just 3-months since that weight lifted; 3-months of regrouping; 3-months of catching my breath... here we go again. Biopsy confirmed ER+/PR+ invasive breast cancer, Stage I, we caught it early. Didn't even have to think twice about it, my A/AA breasts were gone! I had had enough. After 4-miscarriages & 1-ectopic pregnancy, I knew I would not have anymore children. I would one day, look forward to grandchildren. My silver lining is my beautiful 34-C breasts, If I was going through this again, I was going to get something POSITIVE out of it.

I've celebrated 16-years cancer-free now from my first diagnosis; and 6-years cancer-free from my second diagnosis. Somebody told me, I was #badass.... My new nickname. At least until my granddaughter Alia Eve Smith comes into this world April 2016. Cancer's tough but I'm tougher!

comments powered by Disqus
Share your story
Paste in share/embed code from any video sharing site such as Youtube or Vimeo