RECIPE: Summer Strawberry Salad
Since there were several requests about how to make our delicious Summer Strawberry Salad, I’m passing along the recipe. Enjoy!
- 1 head butter or bib lettuce
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 scallions diced into small pieces
- 10-20 strawberries, sliced (depending on size) *
- crumbled goat cheese to taste
- 2/3 cup walnuts (Maple or rosemary glazed are especially delicious)
- Optional avocado and/or cucumber*, diced
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1/8-1/4 cup balsamic vinegar (to taste)
- 1 TBSP pomegranate concentrate
Mix all ingredients, shake dressing very well and dress just before serving. Yum!
*Note: Both strawberries and cucumbers are on the 2015 “Dirty dozen list” from the Environmental Working Group. This list represents the produce on which the highest pesticide residues were found this year. Make sure at least these two ingredients are organic!
FINAL TIP: For an extra cancer fighting boost, grate some fresh lemon peel and pith (the white part) and mix into salad. Lemon peels are a powerful source of a compound known as d-limonene, which has been shown in animal and limited human studies to interfere with several cancer promoting mechanisms.