Reveille Recipe: Eat More Greens! Gail Migliozzi's Massaged Kale Salad.
Greens - So what exactly ARE those? Think spinach, collards, broccoli, Swiss chard, red/green leaf romaine lettuce, mustard greens... the list goes on but you can stop at kale today. Our Camp Reveille Health & Wellness Coach, Gail Migliozzi, sent us her delicious Massaged Kale Salad with Toasted Nuts recipe, we can't wait to try this one and get in our daily dose of greens!
Massaged Kale Salad with Toasted Nuts from Gail Migliozzi
Anyone looking for a healthy lunch or a great delicious side salad for dinner? Well, I've got you covered with my super easy Massaged Kale Salad. Its nutritious and will dress up any holiday gathering. You will be the hit of the party and people will be bombarding you for the recipe!
I hope everyone enjoys my Messaged Kale Salad, and remember, eat more greens! They're healthy for you and having them daily can improve health and vitality!
* 2 bunches of kale (about 1 lb), rinsed and dried, tear leaves off in small pieces or thinly slice crosswise (remove ribs/stems!)
* Juice of 2-3 small lemons
* 2 Tbsps olive oil
* 2 Tbsps maple syrup or honey (or one of each is yummy)
* 1/4 cup lightly toasted pine nuts or almonds
* 1/4 cup dried cranberries, cherries (chopped), or currants
* 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan or Romano cheeses plus some bigger shavings to top salad with
* Sea salt to taste
* Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Place the thinly sliced kale in a large bowl and toss with the lemon juice and olive oil (add more of either thing if you feel like there's not enough to cover everything.) Massage the mixture with your fingers until all of the kale is well-coated and looks a bit darker in color. Let sit for a half hour minimum (or not, if you're in a hurry!)
2. Add the rest of the ingredients and toss to coat. Give it a taste and adjust the seasonings, if needed.
3. Top with the shaved cheese and serve!