Healthy New Year’s Resolutions
Setting realistic health-related goals for the coming year is great because we feel a sense of accomplishment when we achieve them and can continue to elevate our goals bit by bit.
Here are some suggested healthy and realistic resolutions:
- Resolve to get more sleep. Many studies have shown that a good night’s sleep is important for brain function, cellular health and improved skin. Why not make this year the year you commit to your sleep? As an average, 7 – 9 hours per night is recommended. And if you tend to toss-and-turn or have restless nights, consider treating yourself to a new mattress and pillow this year to help you sleep soundly the whole night through.
- Resolve to more “Me Time.” You should be the most important person in your life. Taking some time for yourself to do things you want to do is a healthy practice that can reduce stress and increase cellular hydration. Start with a few minutes a day and build up. Use this time to do something you love, pamper yourself, or meditate. You’ll be surprised at how much better you feel.
- Resolve to give back. One of the best things we can do for our world and ourselves is to give back. Make this your year of philanthropy by committing to volunteer for a favorite charity.
- Resolve to “eat your water.” Proper hydration is essential to a healthy body and skin. Make this the year you make a conscious effort to eat your water – one of the most effective ways to improve your cellular water. Incorporate 4 – 7 servings of raw fruits and vegetables into your diet daily. This will not only hydrate your cells, but also give your body the nutrients it needs to build healthier new cells.
- Resolve to try something new. This year, commit to trying new things. Sign up for an art class. Read more books. Or take up yoga. Whatever it is you do, stepping outside of your comfort zone will build your confidence and help you live better.
- Add one healthy habit a week. Sometimes New Year’s Resolutions like “loose 50 pounds” can be overwhelming. But breaking big goals down into small manageable pieces can help ensure success without becoming stressful.
- Resolve to wear sunscreen every day! It’s important to wear sunscreen every day whether we are inside or out and regardless of the weather. Stock your car, handbag and workout bag with travel sized sunscreen and make sure to reapply.
Article by Howard Murad, M.D., FAAD, a world renowned skincare expert and founder of the Inclusive Health movement. Click here to learn more about Dr. Murad.